On the occasion of Swami Vivekananda (January 12, 1863–July 4, 1902) birthday, we want to remind you some of his famous quotes.
- Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life – think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. Let the brain, muscles, nerves, every part of your body, be full of that idea, and just leave every other idea alone. This is the way to success, that is way great spiritual giants are produced.
- We are responsible for what we are, and whatever we wish ourselves to be, we have the power to make ourselves. If what we are now has been the result of our own past actions, it certainly follows that whatever we wish to be in future can be produced by our present actions; so we have to know how to act.
- Never think there is anything impossible for the soul. It is the greatest heresy to think so. If there is sin, this is the only sin ? to say that you are weak, or others are weak.
- We are what our thoughts have made us; so take care about what you think. Words are secondary. Thoughts live; they travel far.
- You cannot believe in God until you believe in yourself.
- The more we come out and do good to others, the more our hearts will be purified, and God will be in them.
- All the powers in the universe are already ours. It is we who have put our hands before our eyes and cry that it is dark.
- YOU know, I may have to be born again, you see, I have fallen in love with mankind.
- BY the study of different RELIGIONS we find that in essence they are one.
- Our duty is to encourage every one in his struggle to live up to his own highest idea, and strive at the same time to make the ideal as near as possible to the Truth.
- Truth can be stated in a thousand different ways, yet each one can be true.
- The will is not free – it is a phenomenon bound by cause and effect – but there is something behind the will which is free.
- When an idea exclusively occupies the mind, it is transformed into an actual physical or mental state.
- TO worship God even for the sake of salvation or any other reward is equally degenerate. Love knows no reward. Give your love unto to God, but do not ask anything in return even from Him through pray.
- That man has reached immortality who is disturbed by nothing material.
- Do not stand on a high pedestal and take 5 cents in your hand and say, “here, my poor man”, but be grateful that the poor man is there, so by making a gift to him you are able to help yourself.It is not the reciever that is blessed, but it is the giver.Be thankful that you are allowed to exercise your power of benevolence and mercy in the world, and thus become pure and perfect.
- If money help a man to do good to others, it is of some value; but if not, it is simply a mass of evil, and the sooner it is got rid of, the better.
- Condemn none: if you can stretch out a helping hand, do so. If you cannot, fold your hands, bless your brothers, and let them go their own way.
- It is our own mental attitude which makes the world what it is for us. Our thought make things beautiful, our thoughts make things ugly. The whole world is in our own minds. Learn to see things in the proper light. First, believe in this world, that
- The moment I have realized God sitting in the temple of every human body, the moment I stand in reverence before every human being and see God in him – that moment I am free from bondage, everything that binds vanishes, and I am free.
VN:F [1.9.22_1171]20 Inspirational Quotes by Swami Vivekananda,