Travelling leaves with uncountable memories and experiences. Taking a break from your otherwise robotic life and exploring new places and cultures helps you not only physically but most importantly mentally. These short trips rejuvenate and refreshes your mind and also injects you with capability and energy to get back to working with full force.
The true beauty of a place can never be experienced by just visiting some famous destinations and sites but instead by getting lost in a place. The best way to watch some hidden treasures of a place is by doing road trips where you have the complete freedom and the road is your guide.
Itinerary to Carry for a Trip:
Below are some of the necessary things that you should carry with you on the trip.
- Water and Snacks- The first and foremost thing to pack is sufficient amount of water and some light snacks to help yourself because it sometimes becomes tough to locate hotels and eateries during road trips.
- Camera- You can take anything from a DSLR to a normal smartphone camera based upon how you like to capture the beauty of a place and what you are comfortable with. A DSLR generally costs around INR 40,000 at the least but you can grab the same at up to 50% discount under the coming Amazon Republic Day Sale.
- Umbrella- Nature loves to surprise everyone and you don’t know what it may have in store for you. So, better be planned and keep an umbrella which will come to your rescue in case you need it.
- A local map- It is necessary to carry atleast a small local map of your destination.
- Powerbank- You will definitely need this to keep your devices awake so that they can keep you entertained or can help you with navigation.
- Valid ID Proofs- Always carry a valid identity proof as they can help you in availing discounts and also in extreme conditions if something goes wrong.
Here are some of the Best Road Trips that you can take on your next trip. The list has been developed entirely from our opinions and research.
Chennai to Yelagiri:
Yelagiri is a small hill station in the foothills of the eastern ghats. Being far from the parameters of a city, Yelagiri is an embodiment of nature beauty. Thus, being a perfect getaway for someone who is looking for peace and wants to refresh his inner self. Also, since Yelagiri is not much of a tourist attraction because of scarcity of any historical or cultural influence and so is free of any unwanted chaos. While covering the 230 km stretch through NH4 travellers can enjoy the serene and breathtaking views of mountains riding through the twist and turns.
Distance- To reach Yelagiri from Chennai one needs to cover total distance of approx 230 kms.
Time taken in the trip- It takes near about 4 hours of taken by car/taxi to reach Yelagiri from Chennai.
Best Time to take this trip- November to February is the best time to enjoy this trip.
Things to do in Yelagiri-
- Jalagamparai Waterfalls- Bathing in this waterfall can cure several diseases, as it passes through various herbal plants in the hills. The falls also has a trek route and also has good connectivity through road.
- Sports and activities- Rock climbing, trekking, para gliding, zorbing and zip line are some of the activities you should definitely try here.
- Punganur Lake- Situated in the center of the Yelagiri Hills, Punganoor Lake is an artificial Lake. There is a fountain in the middle and activities like boating are also available. There’s a track to walk on around the lake, a park, a small tree top view point and few
- Swamimalai Hills- Climbing your way up is undoubtedly a challenging task, but the entire experience that this trip has to offer is quite memorable too.
- Velevan Temple- The Velevan temple is a rare trove of the standing statue of Ghatothghajan, a character in the Mahabharatha. This temple is situated on the highest peak of Yelagiri and is one the most amazing sightseeing point you may ever come across.
Best Available Deals-
- Use Goibibo New Year offer on hotel booking in order to avail a massive 50% instant discount. While booking hotels you must apply the promo code GETSETGO. Last day to use this offer is 5th January.
- Use Ola cabs app or website and get Rs 250 off on booking Ola outstation cab using code OSB250.
Kolkata to Kumaon:
Who said that road trips are only meant for travelling across short distances. Pack your bags and take this mesmerising trip starting from the sweets in Kolkata, West Bengal and finishing in the Himalayan hills of Kumaon in Uttarakhand. Along the trip you also pass through Jharkhand and Uttar Pradesh. The best way to take this trip is to break it in parts and complete the travel in few days’ time thereby enjoying the beauties of each location falling in between. During the trio, you can enjoy the sweets of Bengal, woods of Jharkhand, holy places and historics of Uttar Pradesh and the awestrucking mountain beauties of Uttarakhand.
Distance– The total distance covered by one in this truly magnificent trip is 1468 kms.
Time taken in the trip- Time taken to complete this trip with small breaks or no breaks at all is Approximately 26 hours.
Best time to take this trip- October to March is considered to be the best time to experience the true beauty of this trip.
Things to do on the trip-
- At Varanasi- Best known for its Ghats and Temples, a visit to the Holy City, Varanasi is incomplete without visiting the temples of this city. Watching the evening Ganga Aarti is certainly once in a lifetime experience.
- At Lucknow- The city is known amongst all for its rich culture, music, poetry, and technology. You can enjoy the nawabi feeling by visiting Lucknow. Some of the places that you can visit here are- Bara Imambara, Lucknow zoo, Hazratganj, Jama Masjid and Rumi darwaza.
- Ride your way through the relaxing forests and dense valleys filled with greenery of Binsar and Almora.
- At Munsiyari- Birthi falls, Maheshwari kund, Panchachuli peak,Kalamuni top, Thamari kund and Khaliya top are some of the most visited places at Munsiyari
- At Kausani- Some of the must visit places at Kausani are Bajinath Temple, Anasakti Ashram, Rudradhari falls and caves, Kausani tea estate.
- At Gwaldam- There are 5 tourist spots in gwaldam, where tourists tend to spend their time. They are Angora farm, Bandhangarhi Temple, Buddhist Khamba Temple, Macchi tal and Gwalnaag.
Best available Deals- Avail discounts of up to 90% on booking hotels through MakeMyTrip app or website.
Jaipur to Udaipur:
Lose yourself into the royalties of Rajasthan and take this fabulous to from the Pink city of Jaipur to the White City of Udaipur. You can experience the striking beauty and views of the Thar desert and the stunning palaces. While this trip you travel through the national highway from the pinks of jaipur to the White foothills of the Aravalli. In Udaipur you can enjoy the luxuries of the Rajputs, their history and the famous art and architecture of those times.
Distance– To complete this road trip travellers need to cover 393 kms in total.
Time taken in the trip- Based upon ride you take, the total time needed to complete this trip is-
By car- 6 hour or by bus- 8 hours
Best time to take this trip- Experience this trip sometime between September to March for the best experience.
Things to do in Udaipur-
- Local Trekking- Surrounded by hills, Udaipur has numerous treking routes which you may take to enjoy the beauty of nature.
- City Palace- The palace is a mixture of Rajasthani, European, Chinese and Mughal architecture. The Palace has various towers, domes and arches, which add to the royal flavor of this heritage site.
- Jag Mandir- Located on an island in ‘lake Pichola’ Jag Mandir is a beautiful palace and is one of the most visited tourist attractions in udaipur and the three-storied palace is a perfect example of Rajput style of architecture.
- Bagore ki Haveli- The mindblowing designs, murals and glasswork has made the spot popular among explorers and photographers.
- Kumbhalgarh Wildlife Sanctuary- Jungle cat, sloth, bear, jackal and wolves are some of the animals that are present in this wildlife sanctuary.
Best Available Deals-
- Get up to Rs 200 cashback on booking bus tickets on Redbus app or website. Apply the promo code NEWYEARCB.
- Avail maximum 90% discount on hotel booking on MakeMyTrip.
Ahmedabad to Diu:
Make this trip from the capital of Gujarat to the beautiful island of Diu and take back with yourself the rich heritage, culture and tribal culture of this place. Diu has upon itself the leftover legacy of Portuguese which got injected into the soul of place during their colonial role. Pack your stuff and experience this trip enjoying the thrill of everything from sea beaches to rich historical heritage. Also, take part in the numerous water activities that the island has to offer and thereby is a perfect weekend getaway.
Distance– 364 kms in total needs to be travelled by one to complete this road trip successfully.
Time taken in the trip- It takes 8 hours approximately by car if you use the Kodinar-Amreli highway.
Best time to take this trip- Anytime between March to July is the best time to take this trip.
Things to do in Diu-
- Zampa Gateway Diu- Zampa Gateway is a renowned tourist attraction because of its major historical significance and awesome architecture.
- Visit the Churches- St Thomas, St Paul’s and church of St Francis are some of the awesome churches to visit in this uninhibited territory.
- Have fun at Beach Resorts- Make your visit even more wonderful by staying in anyone of Radhika Beach resort, Krishna park resort and Hotel palms.
- Enjoy Beaches- Relax and lose yourself into the beauty of Nagoa, Ghoghla and Goptimata beaches.
- Portuguese Fort- Having a garden, a jail and a museum, this wonderful fort is must visit to experience the Portuguese influence on Diu.
- Taste Local cuisine- Fill your taste buds with some delicious local Portuguese cuisines and with the fruit of Hoka tree which cannot be found anywhere else in the world.
Best Available Deals-
- Enjoy cashbacks upto Rs 250 on bus tickets booked through Redbus. Use the code NEWYEARCB.
- Save flat Rs 120 on booking 2 bus tickets using Paytm. Users just need to apply the code RIDE2GETHER.
Manali to Leh:
Manali to Leh through the serene snow covered mountains always remains on the top in everyone’s road trip list. Riding through the terrain in an open ride gives you a chance to explore the beauty of the trip. During the trip you get to pass through Rohtang, Gramphu Kokhsar, Keylong, Jispa, Baralacha La, Gata Loops, Lachulung La and Tanglang La. The beauty of the trip is such spell bounding that it stays in your heart forever.
Distance– The trip makes you travel through 478 kms of extreme beauty.
Time taken in the trip- With ample stops and rests the trip can be completed in 2 days time. During this you can enjoy every beautiful locales that fall in between.
Best time to take this trip- The best time to this trip is between April to July.
Things to do in this manali-leh trip-
- Manali- Thanks to the host of activities and charming spots that Manali has become one of the most visited tourist spot in India. From adventure sports like skiing, hiking and rafting to visiting temples, everything is available in this charming location.
- Rohtang Pass- Present at an altitude of 3900m, Rohtang pass offers is visitors with panoramic views of snowcapped peaks while the Chandra river flows through its vicinity.
- Jispa- A small yet wonderful and scenic village situated beside the Chandra river. Jispa is perfect for an overnight stay.
- Baralacha La- At approx 16000ft, this is a confluence point of multiple roads or a snowy mountain pass. It is also the starting point of the Suraj Tal trek.
- Leh- Finally the destination, Leh is the dream location for every traveller. Traveller from around the world visit Leh to watch its sheer beauty, magnificent landscapes, mountainous terrains. Also, being far the place is not much crowded even during the tourist season.
Best Available Deals-
- Use Goibibo to book hotels using its newly introduced New Year offer. With this offer you will get 50% instant discount on hotel bookings made using the code GETSETGO. The deal will expire on 5th January.
Hyderabad to Kannur:
Excite your taste buds with Hyderabadi Biryani and pack some with you and then start your road trip towards the beaches of Kannur. Visit Kannur to explore the rich historical heritage of the city through the forts, churches and monuments spread throughout. Also, lose yourself into the silent picturesque views of the Gods own country.
Distance– To enjoy the beauty of Kannur one must travel 837kms. The trip in itself is quite awesome as it offers terrific views.
Time taken in the trip- The trip can be completed in an estimated time of approx 12 hours.
Best time to take this trip- October to February is the best time to visit Kannur.
Things to do in Kannur-
- Payyambalam Beach- Shown your strength against the waves and deliver poses on the rocks to capture the beauty of the place.
- St Angelo’s Fort- Enjoy a truly breathtaking view of the Arabian Sea from all the sides of the fort.
- Backwaters- Enjoy the thrill and divine experience of the backwaters present in the outskirts of the town.
- Arakkal Museum- The museum has a collection of the artifacts of the arakkal dynasty.
- Aaron Church- This is a beautiful Latin Catholic Church located 9km from Kannur.
- Aralam wildlife sanctuary- From different species of mammals to reptiles and birds, this bird sanctuary is located on the borders of Kerala and is a must visit for wildlife explorers.
Best Available Deals-
- Save huge by booking hotels to stay in Kannur from MakeMyTrip, thus getting a massive upto 90% discount.
Work is very important for everyone, but at the same time it is also very important for one to visit new places, experience new culture and traditions and gain some mental rest. Traveling also helps one to connect with his inner self and discover new things about oneself. Taking a road trip in contrast of traditional trips helps you explore a place to the fullest and watch even its hidden and rare beauties which remain hidden. Thus, helping you collect so many memories and experiences that you can even write a book on them.
We wish you a great and happy road trip.